WatchMyDC users can add a new collector to their WatchMyDC dashboard once they've imported it Import a Collector.
A ‘Collector’ is a process that polls target devices as configured from the WatchMyDC Dashboard using various protocols such as SNMP, SSH, and OpenTelemetry and can collect response data, traps & Syslog messages. The Collector needs internet access to establish TCP connections with the WatchMyDC Dashboard using port 443 in both inbound and outbound directions.
Note: Please issue the command ‘wmdc upgrade’ as soon as the Collector is online. An upgrade is necessary to ensure the latest build is in operation.
The Collector (current version: v1.38) is built on the Ubuntu Server 20.04.
- Minimum 1 Core CPU
- Minimum 2GB Memory. However, memory requirements will increase with the number of nodes.
- Minimum 20GB Disk Space.
The Collector image can be installed on any of the below platforms as a virtual appliance -
- VMware vSphere
- Linux KVM
- Microsoft HyperV
Download Links for Templates
- VMWare compatible OVA Template
- Linux KVM compatible qcow2 Image
- Microsoft HyperV compatible VHD Image
Instructions For Initial Configuration
STEP 01 - CLI from Console
- Import the virtual appliance on a supported platform
- Initial Login - Once the Collector boot process is completed, a console user can login using the credentials below -
- Username: admin
- Password: admin
- Initiate IP Address set wizard - ’wmdc netconfig wizard’
- ‘What interface should be used?:’
- For most systems, this is ‘eth0’
- ‘Is DHCP enabled for the VM? [y/N]:’
- Enter ‘y’ if DHCP needs to be enabled, else ’N’
- If ’N’ is entered then ‘VM IP Address:’
- Enter the IP Address to be assigned
- ‘Subnet prefix length (eg. 16,24):’
- Enter 16 if the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0
- Enter 24 if the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
- ‘Gateway IP Address:’
- Add the gateway IP Address
- ‘DNS Server IP Address:’
- Add the DNS server IP Address
- Hit ‘ENTER’ to accept the changes. The configuration reverts back to its original settings if ‘ENTER’ is not hit within 120 seconds.
STEP 02 - Create a Collector Connection String in the dashboard
- Register and create an account using: https://dashboard-dev.watchmydc.com
- Create a new Site & Data Center by following the on-screen instructions
- Navigate to ‘Configure > Collectors > Create’. The Collector status will show as ‘Offline’
- Copy the ‘Connection String’
STEP 03 - Set the Connection String for the Collector
- Enter this URL in your browser - https://<collector ip address>
- Paste the Connection String & click 'Submit'
STEP 04 - Upgrade
- Please issue the command ‘wmdc upgrade’ to upgrade the Collector to its latest version
STEP 05 - Verify The Collector Status
- The Collector status in the dashboard should now reflect ‘Online'. (Note - The Collector may take a few minutes to update its status)