PRTG Network Monitor is a popular IT monitoring tool to IT. PRTG supports many notification methods except webhook to a third-party system. It supports HTTP Post mechanism but without JSON/XML format support. And no default third-party webhook plugin is readily available except for Slack & Microsoft Team. So we have found Syslog is the easier way to receive triggers from PRTG Network Monitor.
In this document describes the process to create a Syslog Notification Trigger in PRTG Network Monitor to forward necessary alerts to WatchMyDC to invoke automation.
- The WatchMyDC Collector status should be 'online' to test the notification method
- UDP port 514 needs to be open from the PRTG system towards the WatchMyDC Collector, for in case any firewall is present between those.
- The PRTG system needs to be added in WatchMyDC Dashboard by as minimum as Node Status Only method from the Configuration Center > Networks & Systems > Add New Devices section. This is due to the fact that, WatchMyDC rejects incoming Syslog messages from an unknown unlicensed source.
- ICMPv4 protocol is needed to be open from the WatchMyDC Collector towards the PRTG system, for in case any firewall is present between those.
- Login to WatchMyDC Dashboard and select required Site and Data Center
- Add the PRTG system as Node Status Only from the Configuration Center > Networks & Systems > Add New Devices as described on this document https://watchmydc.zendesk.com/knowledge/articles/4405070198931/en-us?brand_id=360005897554
PRTG Network Monitor
- Login to PRTG Network Monitor with required credential
- Move to Setup > Accounts Settings > Notification Templates
- Enter the credentials further if it asks for
- Click on Add Notification Template from the right side
- Set below parameters from the next page
- Under Basic Settings
- Template Name: Provide a suitable name, ex: WatchMyDC Syslog Notifier
- Status: Started
- Schedule: None
- Notification Handling during Scheduled Pause: Collect notifications and send them when reactivated
- Under Notification Summarization
- Method: Always notify ASAP, never summarize
- Under Access Rights
- User Group Access: provide required permission as needed, ex: PRTG User Group, Full Access
- Toggle ON the 'Send Syslog Message' and follow the below settings or change those as needed
- Under Basic Settings
- Save all settings
- Now the user can engage this Notification Method under each sensor from the Notification Trigger tab. Below example shows that the method has been added with a HTTP sensor.
- On HTTP state Down situation, the trigger will be sent to WatchMyDC through syslog as seen here.